Sunday, November 21, 2010

Should I go ahead and change the Serpentine belts on my car? How much?

I have a 2001 Mazda Protege. Whenever I start the car, there is a chirping noise. A mechanic told me it was 2 belts that need replacing: the Serpentine belts. He recommended that I change them soon. But it has been 3 months since then and I have yet to change the belts. My car has been fine. It still makes the chirp noise when I start my car but runs ok. I'm leaving on a trip soon, traveling about 500 miles (round trip). Will my car make it or should I change the belt before hand. The mechanic wanted to charge me $110 for the replacement of the Serpentine belts (including installation), does that sound about right?



Thanks, guys!Should I go ahead and change the Serpentine belts on my car? How much?
Yes, I recommend you get them changed before you go! If a belt breaks it can leave you stranded and cause other damage to sensors or wiring when it breaks! The price of two belts is about $30 - $40, so the cost is not bad! Also get all your fluids checked, tire pressure checked, and spark plugs and air and oil filter changed if due!(check your owners manual for service intervals! Also get the water hoses checked and changed if needed, these can also leave you stranded!

Have a safe trip!Should I go ahead and change the Serpentine belts on my car? How much?
that price is fine.have them changed before you leave.with the heat we are having now better off to change them instead of ruining your trip with a broken belt on the side of the road.have a good trip.Should I go ahead and change the Serpentine belts on my car? How much?
well you should deff. change them before the trip they could break and leave you beside the road.. that sounds like a reasonable price.. becuase they belts would be about 20 each and then sometimes they are in a tricky place but then again it still sounds a little high too i would check around and see if i could find a better price.. but as for replacement, yes you should deff. do it.. the reason he said they need to be replaced is becuase i would say they have cracks in them which generally is due to execcive wear.. and yes this will cause chirping.. good luck,.Should I go ahead and change the Serpentine belts on my car? How much?
Well seeing how the belts are around $15 dollars a piece if you can find someone to do it for you that you trust it will save you a lot in labor cost. However if there are no threads showing cracking on the underside or fraying of the belt you may be able to get a can of belt dressing and spray it with that found at any local auto parts store. That should stop the noise Without looking at it myself I can not determine if they need changed but given the cars age it wouldn't hurt. Hope this helpsShould I go ahead and change the Serpentine belts on my car? How much?
Get a can of WD40 or belt dressing %26amp; spray some lube on the belts %26amp; pulleys with the engine running in idle. Be careful %26amp; use the long nozzle, just tap the revs a little to work the lube in... now this is due to dry belts %26amp; bearings, once they're done... end of problem!Should I go ahead and change the Serpentine belts on my car? How much?
I think it would be sensible to get the belts changed before you set off

on your journey.What would you do if one or both of them broke after

say 200 miles into your journey.Stranded comes to mind.$110 for

peace of mind and knowing you will get there and back is priceless.