Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to change serpentine belt 98 Corolla?

Hello,

I need to charge the serpentine belt on my wife檚 corolla; it檚 my first time working on the car. I see 2 pulleys which might be the tension pulley. 1 pulley is flat on the outside with no nut on it. The other pulley has a bolt on it but it looks alike a hex key goes on it or I檓 I looking at the wrong pulleys. Please give me some advise I don檛 want to start messing with the wrong pulleys..How to change serpentine belt 98 Corolla?
Hi, The best thing to do is push on the long side of the belt a look to see what moves. Some cars have square holes to put a breaker bar on, some just have flats to put a wrench on. Either way, draw a diagram of the belt routing and keep it in the car, just in case it breaks sometime. The rule is the smooth pulleys ride on the back of the belt, the grooved pulleys the front, or inside of the belt. You can do it..GeoHow to change serpentine belt 98 Corolla?
You should be able to tell which pulley will move and remove tension just by looking at it. I know I had a Honda where I had to loosen the alternator because it actually put tension on the belt. Your best option if you don't know much about this particular car is to invest in a a good repair manual for it. Honda's and Toyota's often have illogical repair steps.