Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the belts on a 2002 Toyota Sienna V6?

I was expecting to find a single serpentine belt with an automatic tensioner pulley. I have changed serpentine belts on many models with no problem. But this Sienna has two belts, not one. One belt drives the power steering pump. The second belt drives the alternator and A/C. I don't see a tensioner pulley on either belt. Do these belts work like old-fashioned V-belts belts where you tension them by loosening something (like the alternator) and then using a pry bar to tighten the belt? I can barely see the power steering pump so it looks pretty tight, I welcome advice from anybody who knows this model. Thanks.How do I change the belts on a 2002 Toyota Sienna V6?
loosen the 14mm bolt on top of alternator. loosen 12mm bolt below alternator sitting sideways. adjust belt tension with 10mm bolt running through previous 12mm.

loosen 12mm bolt on top of power steering pump. underneath vehicle loosen a 12mm bolt below p/s pump pull on belt to relieve tension, and pry carefully to increase tension.

a bit of advice when reinstalling belts, the belt tension has to be just so, too tight and you will wreck the bearings in both pump and alt., too loose and the belts will squeal they have to be just right.