Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I tried to change the serpentine belt on my car, but...?

even though i hear its pretty easy this belt that broke on my isuzu trooper 98 its goes a little inside the engine somewhere or some like that it looks like i have to take something off to do it, am i just better off taking it to a mechanic, is fo how much will it cost me to just change it if i already have the belt?I tried to change the serpentine belt on my car, but...?
If the belt only charges your battery and ac, it is safe to drive it to the service station. You still run the risk of your battery dying though.



If that broken belt drives your waterpump, STOP! You will overheat and damage your engine. Have it towed or fixed there.



The belt likely drives your power steering, so consider this.I tried to change the serpentine belt on my car, but...?
It ususally not easy and it also not cheap to get done. on my daughters 89 Chrysler lebaron it was $300 plus the beltI tried to change the serpentine belt on my car, but...?
I believe the Trooper is a rear wheel drive car. If so the belt would be a piece of cake to change. If its front wheel drive with the engine in sideways it could be tricky-i generally just pass that off to my friend to fix when one of my front wheel drive cars snaps a fan belt.

Regardless in either case a mechanic/garage is gonna soak you for hundreds. They are rip off artists.

I have read this question and your other question related to this and i would like to let you know that all of these people telling you that you are gonna destroy your car by trying to drive it for 2 miles without the belt have no clue what they are talking about. If the car is cold when you first start it there is no way it could overheat within 2 miles. No way at all. I drove mine for around 7 miles the other day without the belt-did not even start to get hot. Just make it a straight trip-dont give the car time to warm up or anything. Just jump in it, start it and go. If that car would overheat and damage the engine within 2 miles i would buy you a new engine-cause i know it just cant happen. 20 miles might be pushing it--2 miles no way would it hurt anything.

On the other hand your serpentine belt turns your alternator which keeps your battery charged. Without it your battery could go dead quite quick leaving you stranded. If your battery is good and strong it will be ok for 2 miles-regardless you might want to have someone follow you just in case.I tried to change the serpentine belt on my car, but...?
its easy just get a wrench usually a 5/8 and the diagram is

usually some where on the front of the engine compartment

on top of the radiator housing.